Perched atop the Dagshai hills, in the very lap of nature lies a beautiful boarding school called Army Public School. It's green rooftops can be seen from the Kalka-Shimla Highway.
Originally the brainchild of Lt Gen K Sunderji, PVSM, and Lt Gen R S Dayal, PVSM, MVC, ADC Army Public School, Dagshai finally took shape on 01 June 1986 under the aegis of HQ Western Command. Lt. Gen. H Kaul, then GOC-in- C, Western Command, inaugurated it.
The first interviews and tests for students took place in Chandimandir. Only 89 children were admitted, out of which 11 were girls. Although the school was ready to admit nearly 200 students, but a smaller number was chosen to allow greater efficiency in their management and also teething problems could be more easily overcome.
Dagshai was chosen as the location of the Army Public School because it is location- midway between Shimla and Chandigarh in the Siwalik Hills and it has a salubrious climate.
The school is located amidst the scenic splendour of Himalayan Forests, at an altitude of 6,000 feet above sea level. It is housed in the prestigious building constructed in 1876, with bronze plaques bearing inscription ‘Honi SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE’.
Which means ‘Noble is he who noble does’ , fully justifying the idea of converting these buildings into this institution.
The basic objective was that The Army Public School, Dagshai should become the best educational institution in the country. Initially it started with Classes V to VIII, with a class added each year until class XII. It would contain 630 students with full boarding facilities, 60% boys and 40% girls with a mixture of Army and Civilian children in order to give a balanced environment for a child to grow up in.
One of its central features is a large field where in the 1880s Durand Cup Football league matches were played. During the British time, this ground was known as Parade Ground where regular parades used to be held.